My Ajji

My Ajji-a biography. My Ajji.....my mother's mother.....Late Smt Indira bai Prahladrao Navalgund. Her maiden name was different. Her siblings used to call her " Gundakka". It seems pre Independence days. ....infant mortality,and intrauterine death rates being high .....a fetus surviving to Infancy and beyond was at times difficult. My Ajji was the first born to her parents after many losses of pregnancy. So she was nicknamed " Gunda" meaning stone in vernacular Kannada.....to ward off evil eye.Ajji has survived Plague 3 times in her growing up years. She was a Matriculate pass in pre Independence era....and knew to read and write English, Kannada and Marathi. She got married to Prahladrao who was a Revenue Collector. A very high and respectful post. Ajji very fondly recaled the different government bungalows they stayed in each posting ...the lavish lawns.....so many househelpers ...... How both husband and wife had made a ritual of having evening Tea in the big lawns......and how ghee pure fried Potato Fritters used to be served as her husband loved the fried savory. Ajji lost her husband at a young age suddenly due to Fever ??? Japanese Encephalopathy or Something similar. She was left with one recently married daughter( My Aai,17 or 18yrs then) and the other 3 in teens or less. At times,when Ajji grew emotional would share her feelings of that moment..... " I went to jump into the well...because there was no house, no money in account, and seeing my white saree.. .....my beautiful jewelry all taken away from me......everything happened so suddenly ..... But at the edge of the well ,I saw reflection of my young kids......the reality hit me very hard ......" She returned back stronger. My Ajji has been a patron of organisation " Akkana Balaga" ....when her husband was DC.....the organisation helped widows,estranged wives,suppressed ladies to become independent. Little had she thought one day she herself would require support. Her Brother in law had recently lost his wife. He needed someone to care his 2 young kids..... So my Ajji,her 3 kids shifted to Pune with that family. Till my mother got married....they were in Pune..... After that my Ajji shifted to Vashi to help my working mother care her kids and house. I have been with my Ajji since birth. Though she was more partial to my elder brother( that's what I always felt)...... She has been my pillar. Ajji has always been strict disciplinarian. She used to take my studies for many years. She would tell me" Work hard for perfection in anything and everything. " A simple poetry recitation ...she would make me rehearse many times....till I got the words,pronunciation and expression right. Practice in the same way as if you are in front of large crowd. Ajji would be so happy when I would bring the trophy for Elocution, Debate,Essay, Poetry recitation, Spell Bee or Best Student or General Proficiency each year. She had her first heart attack during my 10th std or so. When I secured admission in medical college......suddenly she announced" Now I will fight Yamaraj to see my grand daughter become Doctor ". For so many years being together...Ajji used to show share her feelings, anger,disappointment....past memories of her childhood.....with me. I would tell her funny stories of my daily school,dance classes......I used to wipe her tears and make her laugh be mimicry and dance Bharat Natyam recitals. Suddenly the loneliness started creeping in due to old age especially when I too left home after my brother for further studies. Inspite of ill health,Ajji would prepare my favorite dish and send parcel to Sewagram,....write long letters when I was tensed and low.......recite her secret " Mantra" for success before every exam....... This Mantra became so viral ...that even my school, college friends would ask her recite that Mantra before 10th boards and 12th boards. Ajji expired suddenly during my 2nd MBBS. Yamaraj didn't allow her to see me put Doctor..prefix. Ajji has fed me with her own hands hot food till her last breath. She used to teach me Indian mythology, Bhagwad Geeta...... Values of life.....service to people through my work..... Knowledge shared and utilized for benefit of others...... Other value was Love for our Motherland India. Pursue education and skills abroad but return back to work in India was what she told me when I got medical seat. Give back to Society which supported you when young..... Ajji ,your each and every word even today remain true. But Ajji.....today you are not there to recite that secret Mantra...... you are not there to shout" Donkey" angrily when I make a mistake . you are not there to serve me hot food especially hot steaming Idli with tasty hot boiling Sambhar.......the aroma of your Sambhar still lingers around...... Ajji.....I have tried my best to fulfill all your dreams which you always saw for me.... I have tried to live life on the values you taught me.....and have transferred the same values to my kids too. Ajji you are physically no more amongst us......but your fond memories are evergreen and your presence I feel around me even today after almost 3 decades. Miss you a a lot Ajji. .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silent Mentors

Prodigal Love

How much......is too much?????