मुंबई to ಹುಬ್ಬಳ್ಳಿಯಿ

 मुंबई to ಹುಬ್ಬಳ್ಳಿ

Mumbai to Hubli. 

I am a Mumbaikar.

I am born and brought up in Mumbai.I speak the typical Mumbaikar lingo of Mereko and Tereko kya karna......I love my Vada Pav and Pav Bhaji double makkhan marke........

After I completed my Post graduation in Anaesthesiology from BYLNair,Topiwala National College, Mumbai in 1999,my parents wanted me to meet an Ophthalmologist based in Hubli ( Now Hubballi) in North of Karnataka state.

I was first " OMG, where is this Hubli?"

I had visited Bengaluru and Mysuru as a tourist only.We don't have many relatives in Karnataka. 

So,going through the Biodata and photo of the prospective boy, I was keen to know more about Hubli.

In Nair,I had few friends who had done their MBBS from Hubli.so they were my sole educators of this city.

Their intercepts......

" Hubli is a small village.

How will a Mumbai girl like you survive there.

Also no Toilets in most houses. They have pits out side their house.and Pigs are natural scavengers. 

Lots of powercuts almost 10hours a day.Scarcity of water. Once a month. 

For Anaesthesia, no Work station or even Boyles' Anaesthesia machine available. 

How will you survive?"

I was skeptical. 

So decided to personally visit Hubli and meet the prospective family. 

My parents hailing from this part of Karnataka had loved the Boy and his Family. 

When I met the boy and his Family, I shared same views as my parents. But what about Hubli?

The first question I asked the eligible boy is " Do you have Toilets and Bathrooms in your house?"

Boy,I can never forget my now Husband's face on hearing this question. 

He was embarassed, amused and slightly taken aback.

But he being by nature naughty.....answered " No.Do you see that garden outside.We go there, relieve ourselves and wash from the Handpump over there."

Thus began my journey from Mumbai to Hubli. 

I enquired about my Anaesthesia practice. 

I got to visit a well known Paediatrician 's NICU Upgradation.There I got to interact with a very senior Anaesthesiologist of Hubli. He gave me such positive vibes about Hubli.I also got to meet many Doctors of various specialities. Every one was so courteous and polite.

Luckily I hadn't listened to my Mumbai friends and decided to personally visit Hubli. 

Dear Friends, its been 20 years now since I left Mumbai. 

I will always though be a Mumbaikar by Heart but now am slowly transforming myself to a Hublikar. 

Namma Hubballi is now home for me.

My dialect is slowly getting the Hubballi twang of Yakale and Hogale.....

I love Kati Rotti, Shenga Holige, Gural chatni.

I have learnt to read and write Kannada. 

I have many dear friends in Hubballi who have made my 20years beautiful. 

Though occasionally I do miss Mumbai....but now it  is..... Nammuru Hubbali.... Nammuru Chandavu and Huttidare Kannada aga huttabeku......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silent Mentors

Prodigal Love

How much......is too much?????