The Paradigm Shift
The Paradigm Shift.
As an Anaesthesiologist, working freelance in private practice, I get the opportunity to interact with patients and their attenders of all age groups, gender,strata,communities and mindsets.
Also....
I have now completed almost 3 decades in Anaesthesia and Medical field from 1992 as a student, then a post graduate followed by Practitioner.
I myself being a woman,raised by women and raising another girl child.
I see a Paradigm Shift in the world and Society...
In a Woman.....for a woman.....towards a woman.
My Ajji ,pre independence,was educated but got married off and totally was involved in her family responsibilities till the end.
My Mother,a post graduate ( She did her MSc after I was in primary school),was a working woman.
I am an Anaesthesiologist, a highly skilled professional, managing a busy private practice career and home.
My Daughter is a Medical student and tomorrow will be a highly skilled professional too.
A Society initially viewed and expected woman only as a childbearer,Nurturer and Homemaker....
The outlook of a woman towards self and the Society towards her is slowly changing.
As an Anaesthesiologist, I would see young girls dropout from school and some not leaving the 4 walls of their home ever....
Insecure,shy,introverts....
Medically relevant personal information was given by some accompanying male relative.
Consent would be a thumb print.
The female patients and their female accompanying relatives would be ignorant of everything and explaining to such people about Medical issues, prevention, prophylaxis, Procedures, Complications was an upheaval task.
But,today,a Paradigm Shift.
The girls maybe under a veil.....but she is educated, confident and strong.
She drives herself every where.
She brings her mother,sister,grandmother....for consultation.
She is no longer ignorant.
She is well informed about everything.
She asks questions and answers confidently.
She knows her rights and expresses her opinion.
I find so many young girls from all strata and all communities working in the laboratory, Pharmacy,Scan centre,Operation Theatre ,Wards,...Front Desk,Housekeeping, Counselors,.....
Yesterday, Females were working as Doctors, Nurses and Ayahs in Hospital ...only handful working full-time and doing night duties.
Today,Blood Bank,Pharmacy, Laboratory, Scan Centre,Front Desk.....every department has Woman in workforce and doing night duty too.
India is showing a Paradigm Shift.....
Women are coming out in big numbers.
They are financially strong and confident individuals.
They are changing the outlook of society towards Woman.....
I was so overwhelmed when a Veil covered woman.....got down from her scooter, supplied Cakes and Pizza bases baked by her at her home...to the Cafe near my home.....Collected the money.....Lifted her Veil to put Her Money...into the Money purse tied around her waist....and was discussing with the owner in English about next order and new Industrial Ovens She wished to buy.
Indian Woman....maybe in Veil...a Ghunghat....and traditionally conservative outside......
But behind that Piece of cloth which covers her from outside world.....
Today is a well educated, confident and strong individual.....building her own life and raising an equally strong daughter and guiding other women too.
- Dr Tripti Milind Galgali.
Hubli.
Comments
Post a Comment