Who will take care of my child after I am no more?
OT Diaries.
As an Anaesthesiologist working freelance in private practice, I get opportunity to do variety of procedures.I get opportunity to interact with different people every day.
I get to give Anaesthesia to Mental disorders and Psychological disorder in all age groups and both genders.
Some severe cases of both disorders are dependent upon their Caretakers for their survival at times.
A 19yr girl was brought to Scan center for MRI.She was violent and since birth needed nurturing and caring.The parents looked tired,aged and apprehensive.
After the Scan got over,as I was giving the parents post procedure instructions, the mother started crying.The father started sharing his anxiety " Doctor, We have taken her to NIMHANS Bengaluru too.So many treatments and consultations done.Our only anxiety is who will take care of her after we die?"
A 35yr Psychological disorder patient used to get admitted occasionally to the Rehabilitation center whenever she became violent and uncontrollable. Wirh age,she had developed Diabetes and needed to be given Insulin.
As long as her parents were alive,she was well taken care of. Regular treatment of her underlying multiple medical issues ,nurtured and cared .
One day,she was brought in comatose state to the ICU.
I came to know about demise of her both parents. Her brothers couldn't give full attention to her as they had their own families to be cared.
Her dependecy upon others for her self care drove her to Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
She succumbed to the raised Uncontrollable blood sugars and her mental illness.
A Geriatric 70yr lady was brought to the Scan Centre in Dementia state and she was very violent. On history taking,I was told that her condition started on aging.She had become disoriented and later very violent and abusive.
Her tired sons left her .She was staying alone in her house for past few months. When she became very violent and had started hitting neighbors, the neighbors brought her to Hubli for consultation.
One of them commented " I don't know how this old Amma will survive alone with this age related illness?"
In India,dependent people with neurological and Psychological disorders,Geriatrics, have less facilities where they can get caring and nurturing.
If they are fortunate to have someone who diligently and affectionately takes the responsibility of them till end,they get proper treatment and survival.
Most times,it's the parents especially mother.
Sometimes a sibling.
But if the caretaker is no more,there is nobody and very less facilities by the Government to care such dependent people.
In Western developed country,there is Social Security Scheme which provides care facilities to such dependent people if there nobody to take care of them.
Indian government, I feel, must initiate such social security schemes which will care the growing population of lonely Geriatrics and mentally ill people.
NGOs,Corporates as CSR activity must set up more Caring facilities and Centres for such dependent people.
The anxiety " What will happen to my dependent child after I die?"
" Who will take care of this dependent Geriatrics?"
Needs to be answered.
- Dr Tripti Milind Galgali.
Hubli.
Comments
Post a Comment